AAT Access - Business and finance skills
Increase your employability, confidence and career prospects with AAT Access – the short qualification that leads to long-lasting business and finance skills.
AAT Access gives you a comprehensive understanding to work within the finance and accountancy profession. Gaining the AAT Access qualification provides the gateway to work in small local firms to large, multinational companies.
AAT Access shows employers that you possess the professional expertise they're looking for. Covering core accounting and finance areas, successful completion of the qualification will help you to develop your skills across the following four units.
Accounting in a professional environment
- Understand how efficient working practices and personal development help both you and the businesses that you work for to succeed.
- Appreciate how the legal framework and ethical behaviour affect the way a business is run.
Mathematics for accounting
- Build and develop skills across a range of basic mathematical functions using financial data.
- Recognise basic mathematical concepts and apply them to a range of numerical skills required by financial professionals.
Creating business documents
- Recognise documents used within the accountancy function and other areas of business.
- Comprehend the importance of good quality communications, including knowledge of formal and informal written communications.
- Identify different types of business documents and understand why it is important to choose the right style for internal and external communications.
Essential accounting procedures
- Apply basic accounting terminology to business documents and procedures.
- Understand the principles of single entry accounting systems, including preparing to record business transactions in the books of prime entry.
- Identify various types of coding and batch control.
- Prepare documents to process receipts and payments.
- Draw up a basic profit statement.
How and where to study
With AAT, you can study full-time, part-time, from home or online. You can find an AAT approved training provider that offers your preferred type of training by using our online service. Wherever you’re based and however much time you can devote to training, AAT can offer a location and type of course tailored to suit your needs, from further education colleges to private training providers.
Rest assured that you’ll be learning with the best. All AAT training providers are required to meet our stringent standards for approval, with training quality ensured by our regular and frequent checks.
Choosing the right training provider
- What type of training do they offer; full-time, part-time or distance learning?
- Which levels of the AAT qualification are taught?
- What books, assessments and other items does the course fee include?
To get started with your training, you will need to:
- choose a training provider
- enrol on your chosen course
- register with AAT as a student member.