Whether you’re focused on bookkeeping or accounting, considering becoming chartered, or even want to run your own practice, our professional membership offers you flexible options and provides the support, resources and advice to get you wherever you want to be.
Each of our professional membership options will showcase the skills, experience and knowledge you gain as you progress in your career.
- AAT bookkeeping membership (AATQB): Perfect if you want to specialise in bookkeeping or gain the requirements for full membership, bookkeeping membership allows you to gain recognition for your bookkeeping skills and knowledge.
- AAT full membership (MAAT): Full membership demonstrates your experience in key areas of finance: a quality mark that can be the deciding factor when organisations are recruiting.
- AAT fellow membership (FMAAT): Attainable after five consecutive years of full membership, fellow membership is the highest AAT membership designation you can achieve. It displays your senior experience, advanced expertise and industry credibility.
Becoming an AAT professional member could help you to earn, learn and achieve more.
- Increase your earning potential: our research shows that our professional members earn more than those who have qualified and don’t go on to professional status
- Stand out to employers with designatory letters: demonstrate your expertise to employers, clients and the wider industry
- Reach your career goals: our research shows that professional members enjoy more responsibility and opportunities at work than those with no designation
- Be your own boss: enjoy greater earning potential, job satisfaction and work/life balance and run your own practice as an AAT licensed member
- Expand your network: link with a nationwide network of peers and expand your professional connections
- Keep your skills sharp: take advantage of hundreds of online resources and events to boost your knowledge
Exclusive member benefits to boost your career
As a professional member you’ll gain exclusive access to a range of benefits to help you maintain your competitive edge:
- Access to an online library of technical resources, e-learning, training and articles covering key technical topics from tax to security and technology
- A subscription to our award-winning Accounting Technician magazine (MAATs, FMAATs and AAT licensed members only)
- Regular e-newsletters packed with technical advice, industry updates and career inspiration.
- Free attendance at regional events across the UK
- Discounted places at technical training courses and the award-winning AAT Annual Conference
- Exclusive offers and discounts on everything from cinema tickets to insurance with AAT Rewards.
- 50% off your AAT full membership fee during your chartered studies if you choose to continue learning.
Which membership is right for you?
Associate bookkeeping membership (AATQB)
Associate bookkeeping membership marks your first step into the world of finance as a professional and will help you stand out to clients and employers.
- Use the designatory letters AATQB after your name
- Join a nationwide community of peers to expand your professional network
- Build your technical knowledge with access to a wide range of resources designed to support your professional development
- Gain access to career support tools to help you secure your next big role or promotion
- Apply to run your own business as an AAT Licensed Bookkeeper
In order to gain this status you must have:
- Completed the AAT Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping or AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting (on 2010 standards or later), or
- Completed relevant ICB or IAB Level 3 qualifications, or
- Been awarded AAT, ICB or IAB professional membership.
Full membership (MAAT)
Full membership allows you to stand out in the industry and gain professional credibility and a competitive edge when progressing through your career. As a MAAT you can:
- Typically earn £4,000 a year more than those who have qualified but don’t have professional status (based on salaries for AAT members working full-time (non-licensed accountants): AAT Salary and Career Survey 2017)
- Access an expansive library of support and resources to help you succeed in the finance industry, including our award-winning Accounting Technician magazine
- Get technical and ethical support when you need it through e-learning, webinars and more
- Receive a discount on your membership if you choose to study for chartered status
- Apply to run your own business as an AAT Licensed Accountant or Bookkeeper
In order to gain this status you must have:
- Completed the AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting, or
- Gained a full or part-qualification with ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA, ICAEW or ICAS, or
- Gained a full qualification with any of the above bodies or AIA, CAI, IFA, NIAT, ATSA (formerly AATSA), NZICA or HKIAAT, or
- A professional membership with any of the above professional bodies or SCAAK, or
- A degree from one of our partner universities.
Fellow membership (FMAAT)
Once you have held your AAT full membership for five consecutive years, you can apply to gain your fellow membership (FMAAT) status: the highest you can achieve with AAT.
- Increase your earning potential – FMAATs earn typically £8,000 a year more than MAATs (based on salaries for AAT members working full-time (non-licensed accountants): AAT Salary and Career Survey 2017)
- Boost your CV and attract employers or clients with your FMAAT designatory letters
- Connect, network and share insight with other senior professionals at exclusive FMAAT events
- Demonstrate your commitment to keeping your skills and knowledge up to date through CPD
Then go on to ...
Be your own boss
Start your own practice by becoming an AAT Licensed Accountant or Bookkeeper and get all the support and guidance you need to succeed. Including advice and tools covering practice management, marketing, anti-money laundering and more.
Become chartered with AAT reduced membership
Once you'e successfully completed the AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting you can go on to study chartered accountancy and, as a full or fellow member, receive a 50% discount on your full membership fee while you study.