Becoming an ATOL Reporting Accountant (ARA)

If you have one or more clients that hold an Air Travel Organisers’ Licence (ATOL) and you want to submit ATOL Reports on behalf of those clients to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) you will need to become an ARA.

AAT has an agreement with the CAA that members who meet the criteria below are permitted to apply to AAT to become an ARA.


  • The applicant must be an AAT member and a licensed accountant (previously known as Member in Practice) who lives and works in the UK.
  • The applicant must have successfully completed the CAA training module. Find registration details on the CAA website.
  • The applicant must have successfully completed the AAT’s external auditing exam, or an equivalent exam, in the last ten years. An equivalent exam is an external auditing exam with another professional accountancy body that is recognised by the CAA, and where the exam would be acceptable to that professional accountancy body for the purpose of its own ARA scheme. There is a list of CAA-approved professional accountancy bodies on the CAA website.
  • The applicant must have Professional Indemnity Insurance that complies with the CAA’s requirements contained in Appendix A of ORS3.

Independence from ATOL holder

The ARA must be independent from the ATOL holder. This means that you cannot act for a client where the client:

  • is effectively your employer, or
  • was your employer in the two years prior to engaging you as their ARA.