Your Making Tax Digital centre
Keep up to date with the latest MTD developments and explore the free resources, articles and policy updates that AAT provides in order to support you, your business and your clients through the increased digitisation of the tax system.
Your MTD resources
Access our articles and resources, designed to support you, your business or your clients through all of the upcoming MTD changes, including:
- Overview of Making Tax Digital (November 2020)
- Consultation on Making Tax Digital for Corporation Tax (November 2020)
- Making Tax Digital – Mythbuster (November 2020)
- HMRC MTD Case Studies (October 2020)
- MTD Step by Step Guide for Agents (October 2020)
- MTD Step by Step Guide for Businesses (October 2020)
- Making Tax Digital Road Map 2020-2030 (July 2020)
Are you a current AAT member?
Visit the Knowledge Hub for more exclusive MTD resources including:
- Making Tax Digital VAT: Where are we now? (webinar)
- Making Tax Digital moves up another gear (podcast)
HMRC has updated VAT Notice 700/22 to cover exemptions from MTD and included an outline of the process for application. The relevant part of the Notice is Section 3.
- Find software that's compatible with MTD for VAT
- Find software that's compatible with MTD for Income Tax
HMRC has launched the first iteration of the VAT software choices viewer with a filter function, allowing the user to filter products according to criteria such as:
- whether the product is for a business and/or agent
- what features the products has (such view VAT returns, check what VAT you owe)
- whether it’s bridging software or full digital record keeping.
There are now over 200 MTD-compatible VAT products available. HMRC will continue to improve the filters in order to further enhance the customer experience.
Upcoming MTD events
AAT holds numerous MTD-related events across the UK, providing information, insight and updates and a chance to pose questions on one of the most important changes to the British tax system in a generation.
Join HMRC's live webinar, where you will be able to ask questions using the on-screen text box.
This webinar gives an overview of MTD and includes digital record keeping, compatible software, signing up for MTD, working with agents and submitting VAT returns directly from the business.
MTD – your Agent Services Account
This webinar will provide the latest information, including the new Agent Services Account and signing clients up to MTD.
On HMRC’s YouTube channel is a video on Digital record keeping for VAT that you may find helpful.
MTD articles from AAT Comment
- Is it time to ditch clients who won’t go digital? (August 2020)
- Are small businesses ready to deal with Making Tax Digital? (July 2020)
- How will tech companies help accountants with Making Tax Digital for business? (July 2020)
- What latest MTD developments mean for business (July 2020)
- MTD soft landing extended by a year (March 2020)