Bookkeeping (AAT Essentials training)
This course is a deep dive into the world of bookkeeping. It provides an introduction to the accounting system from the source documents used at the start of the process right through to preparing financial statements at the end.
Delegates will learn how accounting systems are organised into the general and subsidiary ledgers and how to apply the principles of double-entry. Categories of accounts, VAT, reconciliations and the correction of errors are also covered.
The course is suitable for those who work in the finance department but have limited bookkeeping understanding or experience, or need a fast-track grounding in accounting systems.
What it covers
Source documents and the purchase order system
Basic double-entry and the trial balance
Accounting for VAT
Books of prime entry
Subsidiary ledgers and control accounts
Errors and basic journals
Journals and the suspense account
After completing the course, delegates will have learned:
- to understand financial transactions within a bookkeeping system
- to process transactions through the ledger to the trial balance
- to understand controls in a bookkeeping system
- to identify frequently occurring errors
- to use the journal to correct errors
- to explain the purpose of the suspense account and how to clear it
- the importance of finance skills to enable your business to operate more efficiently
- to make better business decisions based on finances
- confidence and effectiveness when discussing finances to increase efficiency and profit
- to have more informed conversations with finance colleagues to reduce the risk of miscommunication or misunderstanding
- to provide more insightful reports based on financials.
The course runs for two days.
AAT Essentials courses are delivered by our approved expert trainers. These sessions are perfect for groups of staff that require the same training and can be organised:
- at your offices
- at an external location of your choosing
- as an online session.
Register your interest
Quickly fill out our enquiry form so we can help you with the next steps. We'll send you a free taster training session and our course brochure.
Open courses for individuals
If you want to book onto a course as an individual, we run open AAT Essentials courses on a regular basis. These are our upcoming dates.
|Wednesday 21/Thursday 22 February 2024
|Live online course
Steve has been developing and running AAT training courses since 2010, with skills and experience from working in management accounting, education, distance learning and e-learning. He has been an integral and innovative member of two award-winning AAT providers, and delivered masterclass sessions at AAT regional events and the annual training provider conference.