Financial accounting (AAT Essentials training)
This course reviews double-entry principles before focusing on common in-period bookkeeping transactions that are entered into the accounting systems via journals. It looks at errors that can occur and how to correct them to produce initial financial statements.
It's suitable for those who work in the finance department who need a grounding on routine in-period transactions.
What it covers
The principles of double-entry bookkeeping
Cash vs credit transactions
Common journals and the trial balance
Correction of errors and financial statements
After completing the course, delegates will have learned:
- to understand financial accounting and the roles of bookkeepers and accountants
- to understand the principles of double-entry bookkeeping and how to apply them
- how to record and calculate VAT
- to understand what journals are and their purpose
- to explain the purpose of the suspense account and how to clear it
- to understand the importance of finance skills to enable your business to operate more efficiently
- to make better business decisions based on finances
- confidence and effectiveness when discussing finances to increase efficiency and profit
- to have more informed conversations with finance colleagues to remove the risk of miscommunication or misunderstanding
- to provide more insightful reports based on financials.
Length and certification
The course runs for one day. Delegates will receive a certificate of attendance at the end of the programme.
AAT Essentials courses are delivered by our approved expert trainers. These sessions are perfect for groups of staff that require the same training and can be organised:
- at your offices
- at an external location of your choosing
- as an online session.
Register your interest
Quickly fill out our enquiry form so we can help you with the next steps.
Open courses for individuals
If you want to book onto a course as an individual, we run open AAT Essentials courses on a regular basis. Use this link to register your interest in this course and we’ll let you know when we have upcoming dates.